Six months back I moved from TataSky to Google Chromecast! What an amazing relief! I find several advantages of using TV via the Internet over normal Set Top Box like TataSky, DishNet, Airtel Digital TV, Videocon DTH etc.
For several years I was looking for some technology that will allow me to restrict TV by time slots. This is mainly for my kids, so that they don’t watch TV anytime they wish to and however long. I consider TV a slow poison. It takes away precious time, physical and mental health.
Here are the advantages of casting.
- The complete control is via the phone. Only if the kids get the phone, they get to watch TV.
- It is free! No monthly subscriptions! You are just using your existing broadband Internet bandwidth.
- More channel options. More apps providing hundreds of channels (Jio TV, Hotstar, YuppTV etc)
- Less commercial advertisements.
- Short commercial advertisements. A 30 minute TV program actually finishes in 20 minutes. We we save a lot of time and frustration due to length ads.
- Watch TV programs before their scheduled time. Since the same program is available at different time zones, you can watch a serial well before their Indian time table. Watch early, sleep early!
- There are more advantages…..I am unable to recollect. Will add them soon :)